Restraining Order Procedure
Court for restraining orders happen Monday through Friday. Our office opens at 8:30am Monday through Friday.
1. Advocates assist people on a first-come-first serve basis. Please keep in mind that our office can expect a high volume of individuals at any give moment and there is a possibility that not everyone will be able to attend court the same day they came in.
2. Advocates submit packets for filing at the courthouse for the judge to review.
3. An advocate will accompany all petitioners to the courtroom. You must be present at the hearing of your petition; the person you are filing against does not need to be there. No children are allowed in the courtroom; we do not provide childcare.
After your name is called, the judge may ask questions to clarify the petition. You will be under oath and must answer all questions truthfully. Remember that an advocate will always be in the courtroom for support, and will be available for you outside the courtroom once court if over. Advocates cannot speak for you or on your behalf, and are not there to represent you in any way.
Court Room Rules:
- No flip-flops, tank tops, hats or shorts
- No food, drinks or gum
- Turn off cell phones; judges will take your phone and keep the battery
- No children are allowed in the courtroom, we do not provide childcare
Advocate hours are Monday through Thursday 8:30 am to 4 pm and Fridays 8:30 to 2 pm. Closed daily from 11:30 am to 12:30 pm. These hours are open for individuals to speak with an advocate seeking information or wanting to obtain an order. Call to speak with an advocate at 503.640.5352.