Monika's House Shelter
Built in 1999 with the help of Community Development Block Grant funds, Monika’s House Shelter is Washington County’s only domestic violence shelter, and is named in memory of domestic violence victim Monika Voits -- a Tualatin, Oregon woman murdered in her bed by her husband while her sons slept down the hall in January of 1999. Monika's House is a 24-bed facility (6 family units, 3 single-person units) providing safe and confidential emergency shelter for more than 200 adults, children, and their pets fleeing imminent physical danger from family violence each year.
Services provided by Monika's House include:
- emergency accommodation
- individual and group domestic violence support
- parenting groups and support
- children's groups and support
- safety planning
- resource referrals
- advocacy and case management
- staffing and coordinating the DVRC 24 crisis-line
Monika's House is also proud to be one of only five shelters in the state of Oregon providing shelter from domestic violence to not only human survivors, but their family pet and companion animal survivors as well. We currently have 5 outdoor kennels available to dogs and other outside animals, and are able to house therapy and service animals inside the shelter. And we're excited to announce that, thanks in large part to the generous support of community agencies, we will be opening an indoor kennel to offer shelter to small animals in the Spring of 2014!
Donations to Monika's House
Does Monika's House accept donations? Yes, within our guidelines! The shelter is able to accept two categories of donations:
- Financial donations to the DVRC Survivor Empowerment Fund
- In-Kind donations. Community support through in-kind donations is our primary means of providing necessities to our shelter clients. Please check our list of current shelter needs and consider donating any of these items. (Monetary donations to purchase these items are also greatly appreciated.)
- Please call before donating any item, even if it is on our list of needed items. We are unable to accept unsolicited donations.
- We are unable to accept donations of furniture, home appliances, or clothing at this time. Please consider contacting the following community agencies about donating such items: Community Warehouse, Love Inc, Donors Resource.
- Out of respect for our clients all donated items should be new or in excellent condition. A good rule to consider is: If someone were to donate these items to you, would you accept and use them?
- We are generally not able to pick up donations from your location. There are exceptions, but we would greatly appreciate it if you could deliver items to our business office (a shelter staff will provide you with directions).
Please contact our shelter advocates at 503.469.4580 or email our Day Advocate Clara Mandujano at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in donating items to Monika's House. Thank you for your support!